Monday, February 9, 2009

Eye Opener: Ecological Footprint


How much of the Earths resources does my lifestyle take up? According to this quiz from the Redefining Progress, if everyone lived the lifestyle I live it would take 4.35 Earths! My results seemed to be somewhat below the Country's average, but it still surprised me that 1 poor college student took up over 4 Earths!


Since college I have defintely been introduced to the advantages of conserving electrcity, water, gas, heat, etc. not only for my wallet but for the Earth in general. We as Americans rely so much on water, electricity, heat, air-conditioning, driving etc, that we don't realize how much is going to waste.

I'd like to think that I contribute by taking the bus, carpooling, recycling, conserving, using hand-me-downs (it seems the list could go on and on) but there is always room to improve which I think I could.

What I found challenging about conserving had to do with the house that I live in. It's an old house, with old windows, oil heat and we rent it. That itself makes it difficult to be eco-friendly. We do try hard to contribute by puting in the correct light bulbs, blocking off windows and doorways, unplugging and turning things off, and keeping our heat in the high 50's (which believe me is chilly, you don't see us walking around our house with shorts and t-shirts on, it's more like jackets and hats still on!)

I thought this activity was fun but it just made me feel guilty that I need to do a lot better. I wish I had the money to have the hybrid car, or the solar panels in our house, but it's looking like that isn't happening for me any time soon, so I'll keep doing my part the best I can. I think the little things like recycling, turning off lights/appliances, and using public transportation can make a big difference!

5 comments:

  1. Jayme,
    When we were in Europe it was much easier to conserve in many ways, especially in mass transportation. Although there everything is so close together, not spread out like in the USA. We could easily walk to the stores or ride a bike, not that easy here. We don't even have sidewalks in my neighborhood. And the nearest grocery store is a 10 min. drive. Bigger is better in the USA, not so for our environment.

    I agree being around the University and especially taking this class makes us much more aware of the importance of taking care of our environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there things that don't require large investments that you can do to make a difference?

    (P.S. The use of color is good...I like how it coordinates with the image. However, the red text is very difficult to read. Please change it to a different color.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember last year I had friends who kept the heat in their house low around the low 50's. Their pipes burst from the cold and flooded their house...yikes

    Hope you don't freeze to death in your own home. If you let sunshine in during the day that should help heat the house. The way you keep the door stuffed to conserve heat is very good. Having lots of blankets would also help keep you warm. It is nice that you un-plug your appliances when you are not using them. That is a very good you are so inventive at saving energy. Glad to here it, keep it up. WE can all make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayme,

    I agree, we take what we have for granted sometimes and by doing so are hurting the earth. I too live in an old house with old windows and it's hard to keep heated because it will get so hot in the upstairs and stays cold downstairs, nobody is happy. To solve that, the people who live down turn the heat up haha. I really enjoyed your post and shared lots of your thoughts and feelings towards being a college student and still feeling guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never understood why people never update their houses. I believe that the small upgrades you can do like changing the windows really pay for them selves. not only would things like this help your pocket book, but using less electricity and other resources is always good for the environment.

    ReplyDelete