Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Eye Opener: Environmental Working Group

For this Eye Opener what we had to do was visit the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database and type in 1 cosmetic product that we use regularily. I chose to type in my Pond's face lotion. Face lotion is the one type of product I honestly don't think I could live with out (I know I'm being a little dramatic) but I use it everyday, in the morning and evening. My hazard score was a 6. The website said that some of the ingredients in the product were linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity, allergies, and a few other miscellaneous concerns. It surprised me that something I put on my face every day could give me cancer or even reproductive issues??! I used the same website to find some other low hazard face lotion products, most I've never heard of (which I'm not surprised). It seems a little unrealistic to me to stop using every kind of cosmetic that I own but I'm definitely going to start paying attention to lables, I might even type something in this website before I make my next cosmetic purchase! It seems now that everything is linked to cancer, and I'm not really sure how or what to think about it.

4 comments:

  1. Jayme,
    Good Blog, it's hard to know what is going to give you cancer or not, so may things are linked to cancer. I also checked out some 0 danger hair gel, it only cost $55, ya right!! Although it would be better than getting cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayme-

    What an eye opener! I feel like everyone's product they have chosen has thepotential to give you cancer. I'm sure ingredients in the product can be linked to cancer but I wonder if thereis enough to actually have an effect. Makes you wonder..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sara...it seems every product is linked to cancer. I wonder why this is? Maybe to misdirect all the evidenence to link every product to cancer so there is no real direct focus, so that way all the chemical companies will be safe. They are all pointing to each other. Well I agree that this is a very interesting eye opener. Every product seems to be somewhat dangerous to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also was led to believe that everything on this site was liknked to cancer. I would think that someone could make some of these things a little safer.

    ReplyDelete