Saturday, March 7, 2009

Review of Reading 31: Privatizing Water


To be completely honest, I read the title of this reading and I really was not sure what "privatizing water" meant and who was involved! So I'll define and explain a few things as I go about the review.
Water Privatization: is short for a private sector (a part of the economy which is both run for private profit and is not controlled by the state) participation where supplies of water services and sanitation are set aside and owned.

This chapter was a little hard to follow so bare with me here. What seems to be the issue is something we take for granite every single day of our lives, water accessibility. The World Bank and International Monetary Fund (MIF) have encourage coutries in debt to privatize their water. Meaning the right we have as humans (getting adequate supplies of water) is being seen as an "Economic Good" by our world leaders, as of 1992.

The book went into a little detail about the troubles of Chochabamba, the third largest city in the country. Saying that they signed over control of their waterworks, but it rose bills by 35%. As a college student I couldn't possibly imagine paying that much more for water! The people disagreed with this move because it was a resource they just couldn't live without. There was much violence and many protests against it, which eventually led to the rescission of the water contract.

Privatization of water is seen by the World bank and IMF as an opportunity to lure investments from international coorporations to help these countries in debt. When in actuality, they're making something that is a public trust and right, that the goverenment should be in charge of (access to safe and adequate supply of water) into an opportunity for profit. The government is failing to provide over 1.1 billion people with adequate supplies of water. The questions arising are how can these numbers be decreased? Will these private sectors help? There are now 36 countries all in africa that do not have adequate amounts of fresh water to meet the industrial, municipal and food production needs of their people. It is also said that by 2015, seven more countries will join the water stressed!

While countries like the US, with generally well run water systems are slow to privatize water systems, many developing countires are faced with rapid deterioration of their water systems and are looking for this private sector assistance. Many of these countries rely on questionable water sources and expensive private suppliers. Some places like Bolivia, where poor families are paying up to 10 times more for their truck water tanks than the wealthier people with piped water. Due to these large companies being motivated by profit rather than public service, people around the world have been dealing with drastic rate increases, job cuts, dropped conservation initiatives, and health services.

The whole process of privatizing water has challenged my thinking. There was potential advantages explained when privatizing areas where the governments are weakest and failed to meet the basic water needs. But there also are risks when dealing with weak governments where public interests are usually the last thing that is protected. It seems like there is a lot of room for corruption. I think the main thing I got out of this was that if they do choose to continue privatizing water to make sure that the public service is #1 on the list rather than profit. It seems almost unreal to me, that so many people around the world are so deprived of clean water! Like I said earlier, it's just something that we all take for granted but I am very thankful for.

Municipal rate: is an administrative entity composed of a clearly defined territory and its population and commonly denotes a city, town, or village or a small grouping of them

Urbanization: the physical growth of rural or natural land into urban areas as a result of population immigration to an existing urban area.

Infrastructure: can be defined as the basic physical and organizational structures needed for the operation of a society or enterprise.

Paternalistic Sector: Group of people that make decisions on behave of others

Just this past year for Dr. Tornabene's class we toured the Western Lake Superior Sanitary District (WLSSD). We got to see how our water around here is cleaned, tested, etc. There is a lot of things to learn from this cite I highly recommend going to it!


24 comments:

  1. Hey Jayme:
    I thought this reading was a little difficult to understand as well. I thought you did a good job summarizing it. I think it's really sad some of these countries rely on questionable water sources and expensive private suppliers. I think I tend to take advantage of our clean water supplies. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayme-
    I also thought this reading was difficult..had to reread! We never really think about the resources that we are blessed with until we read something like this article! Its easy to say we need to help but harder to actually get people to take action. I agree with you tha the Government is to blamed for this. They need to step up and take responsibility! Good job organizing and defining terms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayme-
    You said it hard to understand! I had to read this nearly 4 times to get the little grasp on what little I did! It is hard to think...imagine at all what life would be like if we had no water! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayme-

    Like everyone else, I had to reread sections of this article at times. "The government is failing to provide over 1.1 billions people with adeguate supplies of water." That number is really high, and when you think about the people who do have access to clean water, it seems to be taken for granted. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayme

    First of all, I agree with you that this was a hard reading to understand! The fact that the government is failing to provide 1.1 billion people with adequate water supplies floors me. I think that we definitely need to do something to lower those numbers as soon as possible.I agree with you as well, that this is something that we take advantage of, because we've always had clean water. Maybe if we step outside of the box, we can come up with some great solutions.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jayme,
    Really good post, you made the chapter clearer for me, thanks. It's a shame that people can be charged excessively for something that is such a necessity like water. I'm glad we live in MN where we have access to clean water. It's too bad that we can't find a way to make use of saltwater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good review, Jayme!
    I, too, was shocked at the thought of having my water bill increase by 35%, I can't even imagine. I feel like it's hard to relate to/understand this issue because it's so far removed from anything I've ever had to deal with. Water is available to me anytime I want it, every day! I know I take this for granted. It does appear that water privitization has advantages, but unfortunately the negatives seem to outweigh the positives. I just wish everyone could have access to clean and affordable water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too thought that this reading what kind of difficult to understand and summarizing it was somewhat helpful in making it easier to read. I was shocked when I read how many countries are going without safe water right now, and even more surprised that in 6 years, that number is going to increase by 7. There is definitely something wrong with that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is very true that governments often times put the interest of the people behind the interests of a private coorporation's interests. Money talks big time to the government officals, and in order for a government to run they sometimes need to obey the cooporations needs. But, in terms of water supply it is important to put people first. Since water is a very important basic neccessity for life, water supplies should be available to everyone in an affordable manner. It should be noted not to waste water. The best way to live is to live healthy, and water is apart of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jayme!
    You were right! This was a challenging review! But now we know! :)
    I am also thankful for the things we have but it is sad to think many people take it for granted! I think there is a lot of room for corruption in the governments here. I think this issue is one of our most challenging ones we have discussed and read about! I am having a hard time thinking about solutions, but something needs to be done because so many people are deprived of quality drinking water!!
    Good job Jayme!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jayme-
    When you said that no matter what we do, service to the people needs to be the number 1 priority. The sad thing is, from the bottom up that is the mindset, but from the top down making profit seems to be the mindset.
    Is there anyway to have a happy medium that doesn't exploit any group of people or water resource? I am not sure...
    I think after reading this article I have a greater appreciation for cheap water access. Seriously, how lame would it be if people (who couldn't afford water) started dying at alarming rates from dehydration in the US? The problem is SO preventable...
    --s

    ReplyDelete
  12. This review and the video we're watching in class right has made realize how much I should be thankful for having water available to me everyday. I guess it's something I take for granted since I see it everywhere. The water privatization issue is very sad, and I hope it doesn't go world wide.
    Good job on your post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. Love the picture! It's beautiful!
    2. I agree; water availability is just something that we all take for granted but I am very thankful for it's accessability in the U.S.!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jayme-
    Good job! I agree I dont think we as college students could afford paying 35% more on water. I think most of us would agree. I also couldnt imagine having riots over water, and having someone be killed because of it. Its hard to imagine what life would be like if we didnt have water. I think we need to start conserving it right now so we dont run into the same problems as other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jayme, I also had no idea what water privatization was before reading this article, and I found the issue a little hard to read as well. I think that you did a really great job summarizing this reading! I agree that we take our water supply for granted, so we really have no idea what these people are going through. I noticed that there are almost equal pros and cons for this issue, so I am also confused on whether or not there should be water privatization. But I do agree with your statement, that if water privatization does occur, their focus should be on serving the people, not the profit. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jayme~
    Great post!! Privatization should be serving but you know that is not what would because people are driven by $$. I am not sure if we should do privatization but we do need to do something about conserving the water! I do think we should just get rid of bottles of water cause they really not good for the environment either way you look at!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Jayme!

    Great job with this! It such a confusing topic but you really did a great job with it! It's weird to think that someone can charge us even more for water then we already are. Have a good one!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Jayme,
    I feel that the article should of went a little bit more in depth about the lead up to the events that unfolded in Cochabamba that left one kid dead. They really just went straight to it and said that water was being privatized. I don't believe water privatization would work in a country that has a history of being poor. Nice post Jayme!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice post! I can see the benifits of water privatization but what is tough for me to grasp is how the countries with little money have to pay for it and countries like ours doesn't, it seems backwards to me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that privatization leaves a lot of room for corruption as well! If companies were there to actually help out because they care, then that would be one thing, but they aren't they are there to just make as much money as possible. It isn't fair for them to make profit off of our money, which should be a natural right! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice job on your review, Jayme. It was a hard chapter to follow I agree, but I feel you did very well with summarizing it and pointing out some very good facts and issues. I also love your picture :) I hope this is an issue that is on its way to being handled correctly..hopefully without too much damage being done in the meantime... Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jayme,

    It is really sad that so many people around the world, and especially in Africa, are deprived of clean, drinkable water! I really like how you said that if they did decide to privatize water in America, they must make sure that the public service is #1, and profit isn't even a factor. They really should set their priorities straight, since people's lives depend on it! Good summary Jayme!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jayme,

    I agree with you that this was a challenging review! But I wouldn't have known about the water issue if I didn't read this article! I am thankful for the things I have but I know some people do take it for granted!!! Which is hard because if I'm doing everything I can but then encounter others that don't give a hoot-it's very frustrating! I think there is a lot of room for corruption in the governments here. I also think the water issue is one of the most challenging reviews we have discussed yet...hopefully there's a solution just around the corner. Great job on this summary, Jayme!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think this was probably something that was thought of with good intentions, but trying to make an investment in water would just raise prices. I don't think this would work as well as they thought.

    ReplyDelete