Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Share and Voice: Penn and Teller


So this past weekend I went to visit Paul, "my man"..as Sara J would call him ;) in Staples Mn, which is about 30 miles from Brainard (let me tell you it's a pretty exciting town..) He helps run a golf course out there. His boss was kind enough to let me work there this weekend (just to make a few dollars for my broke self as the school year is coming to an end) As I was helping to clean up all the garbage and pop bottles from the tables I was surprised to find out THEY HAD NO RECYCLING BINS?!? Of course I made a smart comment to Paul, he's always giving me grief about my rants on recycling, littering, etc. Then I went right to his boss and made a comment (friendly but honest) and asked why he didn't recycle. He simply answer "I don't believe in that crap"...I was speachless. Then he went on to ask if I'd ever seen the show "Bull Shit" (sorry thats the name) by Penn and Teller. I have seen that show and I actually like it. But that doesn't mean I change the way I live just because some magician tells me it's not true!? The show is based off mostly controversial topics that they "prove" to be one way or the other. It's a really interesting show, but if everyone believed everything they say there'd be no recycling, endangered species aren't real, and college is a scam..(the list could go on and on it's been aired since 2003). Basically I guess I was just looking for a better answer from him. I was hoping fees would have been an excuse, or the fact they are only open for a couple months, but no he didn't "believe" that recycling did anything?? It's my goal the next time I go back to bring back some proof for him..if you got any good ideas let me know :) I have a few that I've been looking into..I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is a link to the video..they swear a lot but if that doesn't offend you I think you should check it out and watch with an open mind..it's just 1/3 of the show because they're an hour long but if you have time check it out.

3 comments:

  1. Jayme,
    Good post, a real life encounter trying to spread the good word! I love it!! It's hard to believe he couldn't come up with a better excuse when most of the world is recycling and it isn't that hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you, Jayme. But I'm speechless. I guess I wouldn't take environmental health advice from two comedians any more than I would take regular health advice. What is the solution? Well, what about the Story of Stuff video we just watched? Do you think that would be helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to think that people could say that they don't believe in recycling. Are people still that ignorant? Also, I work at the Duluth Airport, and just realized that I don't see a single recycling bin from where I'm sitting. What is the deal? When will people wake up and finnaly smell the stinky landfill and change their ways?

    ReplyDelete