Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Share and Voice: Super One

Thanks to Dave who so kindly gave us the Super One bags. I have another to add to my collection! I ended up using it right away and forgot to take the tag off of it. The guy at the counter almost didn't believe me that I had already owned it before I put it on the counter..ha just my luck. Anywhos I decided to look a little farther into reusable grocery bags and found a sweet website!
Why use Reusable Grocery Bags:
-Some grocery stores even offer discounts for customers who bring their own bags - now that's incentive!-It requires 13% more energy to produce one single paper bag than to produce two plastic bags. (The co-op does!)
-Ireland, the first European country to impose a tax on them, has decreased plastic shopping bag consumption by 90% since 2002, reducing overall plastic bag usage by 1.08 billion. (Ask Ingrid she was there and could tell you, I remember her mentioning something about it)
-In the past five years, over a dozen countries have banned or put a tax on disposable bags. (why don't we!!)

According to this website we are now on the cutting edge of a unique Grassroots movement that is sweeping the nation! It's believed that within five years over 90% of the country will be using a reusable grocery bag! Woohoo and Dave just brought us closer to that 90%!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post jayme! And thanks for the tip about my enironmental activity post =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayme,
    Good Post! While we lived in Europe we would save our bags, (more of a paper bag with handles and made a little stronger) otherwise they were like $.15 to buy not a huge price but enough to make you want to reuse the old ones.

    ReplyDelete