Thursday, February 19, 2009

Review: Diet for a New America


The film we watched this week was Diet for a New America. It was made in 1995 based on John Robbins. John Robbins, who was the son of Irv Robbins one of the co-founders of Baskin Robins. Rather than following in his fathers ice cream legacy, he found something that was more rewarding to his life. John was quite sick growing up with Polio, which seemed to be his biggest motivation. He often wondered how he could regain health. Johns solution to regaining health was being more concious of the foods he would consume. Being health concious lead him to realize that there was a link between agriculture, health, and the environment. John had various doctors come on film and explain just how the food that we eat has an imact on our health. The doctors explained that the excess amount of (saturated) fat consumed, goes into the blood which can cause various complications such as blood clots, heart attack, stroke, and even cancer (while also keeping in mind heredity, medical history, diet and exercise). One doctor even showed a tube of blood where you could actually see the fat seperated, it was a pretty disgusting visual!


The video went on to explain how different countries have different ways of eating, some are even "scared to become like us". To one of our American servings of meat, could feed a family of 4 or 5 in other countries who use meat as a side dish! Not only did John talk about how bad the meat was after it was cooked, he explain the harsh environments that these animals are kept in before they reach the slauter house. On some farms (of course not all!) cows are kept in confined places where their movement is constricted to make sure that the meat will be "tender" when cooked.

In order to produce all the food grain needed to feed the cows, there are mass amounts of pesticides and fertilizers that are used. Essentially the cows are eating it which obviously turns into manure. The video went into detail explaining the problems that cow manure has on the environment. Some live stalk making up to 6,000 lbs of manure each year. These cow feces go into the ground, essentially entering the water and becoming destructable to the environment and the people surrounding the farms. Nitrate (from the fertilizer on grains that are fead to the cows) can enter the drinking water, causing harm and birth defects to babies called Blue Baby Syndrome.


This movie was a little challenging to watch (depsite it being a little out dated) because it goes against most (not everyone) of what our normal up-bringing as an American is. Personally, I grew up in a family where all of our dinner meals were based off of meat and a side dish of vegetables. I have always been a "picky eater" (what my family calls it), and since highschool I don't really eat beef that often. I still get werid looks and comments from my brother and dad when I eat a turkey burger at dinner while everyone else is eating a beef burger! Essentially this movie was an eye opener to me for realizing how the health, environment, and agriculture are so closely tied together. This movie was very biased, but I think watchin it with an open mind helped me realize some important points that were made.


Polio-A viral disease marked by inflammation of nerve cells of the brain stem and spinal cord.

Pesticide-Chemical preparation for destroying plant, fungal and animal pests.

Fertilizer-Mixture of substances used to make crops more productive.

Blood clot-A semisolid gelatinous mass of blood that consists of red blood cells, white blood cells and plateletes trapped within a fibrin network.

Stroke-A blockage of a blood vessel leading to the brain causing inadequate oxygen supply.

Heart Attack-Damage to an area of heart muscle that is deprived of oxygen (usually an artery)

24 comments:

  1. Jayme- This is a really good post. You have a lot of good information in it! The tube of blood where you can see the fat seperate sounds gross, I didn't get to see it personally, but I can imagine. Also it is sad to think that it took someone to have such a severe illness to start thinking about how what we consume can affect the environment.
    Also I see that you started to link your definitions, but I think they all have to be linked:) Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayme,
    Good Review, this video was new when I was in college the first time;) Before watching this video I had no idea that manure was a big problem for our environment. I felt bad for the women that has little children and how she's not sure if they were affected by the nitrates in the water. I would be devastated if I found out my children were damaged by something I thought was safe for them, like water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Jayme! The part that really surprised me in this video was that Irv Robbins left his dads company to inform people on all the food we eat and their effects. It's strange too because the majority of ice cream people eat, isn't good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayme! I was so grossed out when they showed that tube of blood where you could actually see the fat separated. And when they pulled that fat link from that body cavity. I feel that the documentary was slightly biased, as well. However, I do feel it was very informational and it definitely opened my eyes to things we need to work on both for our bodies and for the environment=) Great job on this summary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jayme!

    Very well said. And nice picture! I also thought that test tube with the fat was disgusting! Seriously, after watching that scene and the one where the doctors pulled that fat string out of that patient's heart, I can't eat nearly as much greasy foods at home anymore...I also think it's funny that the our cultural diets have become so bad that other countries are scared to "become like us." Nice job with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post, Jayme! I agree that the blood sample with all the fat in it was a very disgusting - but effective! - visual aid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jayme-
    Great post! You stated a lot of good information from the video throughout your post. I also enjoyed the picture you provided as well. I cannot believe the blood sample with the fat. That makes me feel sick to my stomach. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jayme-
    Great job summarizing the movie. I can definitely relate to you when you said you grew up eating a lot of meat. Ever since I went off to college, I don't eat as much, but whenever I go home I feel pressured to eat whatever my family is eating too.. This movie was really biased, but made me dislike meat even more! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jayme-

    Great job with this post. This movie, although it seemed so old at first, was really insightful. The part about the mom who was talking about how she hoped her children didn't have birth defect because of the nitrate and hoped her neighbors stopped drinking water too was so sad. Great review

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a very good job with this post Jayme. I felt a twinge when the idea of how other countries "dont want to end up like us"..how sad is that?!? I agree with you in that it is a little difficult to take all what he stated in this film as fact and to heart, but I do still feel it is an issue that definitly deserves much attention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked your comment saying that some other countries are actually scared of us. I think that is really interesting because we often assume that people look up to us, and follow our lead. When in reality, they are actually scared that some of their people will start following our diet, and become unhealthy like us. Really great point!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jayme~ I thought it was really gross when they pulled that builded up out of the blood vessel too...at first I had no idea what they were pulling out and then when I found out I almost threw up!! It was really gross to on how much fat was transfered into the blood too!! That was nasty!!! This movie was a huge eye opener! Great Post keep up the work!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jayme- I have to agree with you that the visual of the fat coming out of a patients main artery was really disgusting. I was telling my boyfriend about the image and he sarcastically said, "Well, that makes for a good opportunity of recycling. If they clean out all of the arteries from cadavers, we could melt down the fat to cook with!!" It grossed me out, but it is so true.
    I give you kudos for eating a turkey burger when your family sits down for a beef meal. It is hard to be the only one who doesn't comply with your family.
    I also liked the terms you linked. Very helpful!! --S

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jayme!
    Yeah that tube of fat with the blood was a disgusting visual, I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Before I watched this video, I never heard of Blue Baby Syndrome, and I couldn't believe that the nitrates from the manure could cause it! How devastating.
    Yum, a turkey burger sounds really good. Lol I am glad you watched this documentary with an open mind, I think we all had to be in order to learn from this, but not necessarily be persuaded.
    Thanks for a good review Jayme!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jayme,
    I really liked the links you provided throughout your review...they definitely complemented the summary! I agree, the information I received from this movie challenged my thoughts about the American diet. We really do need to change how we think of the standard "meal."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heya Jayme! Great review of the movie! I can relate to ya when ya say ya grew up eating meat alot. Difference is I still eat alot of it, which probably isn't the best thing ever. That's one thing I'm noticing alot about this class, it makes you realize what you're doing isn't necessarily the best thing ever. Have a good one!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jayme-

    Great post! You pointed out a lot of key topics that were introduced in the movie and
    summarized it well. It was an eye opener for me as well regarding how everything is tied
    together somehow. I also like the point you made about how it was biased, but keeping an
    open mind is important.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jayme,

    I agree with you it was difficult to watch how the cows were treating and the conditions that they had to live under in order to become veal... it was so sad! Jayme I also agree with the way you stated that the typical Minnesotan family consumes food is very different from the way the film is telling us to eat! great job Jayme!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am called a picky eater as well, but I do consume a lot of meat. This video showed another side of how animals are treated, it was hard for me to watch because I eat a lot of meat. Even though I know it's that good for my health I still eat because is habit I grew up with.
    Good job on you post and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the sight of how those cows are locked up in some of the most unsanitary conditions makes a lot of people change their mind about eating meat. Pretty sad. I've never heard of turkey burgers but I am curious to try one...that will be on my grilling list for this summer. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jayme,

    I too have enjoyed a family that eats meat at every meal. We recently have gone to turkey burgers. I really can feel the difference in my workout on days when I have a turkey burger versus days when I have a beef based burger. My workout feels more sluggish and bad on days when I have a beef burger. The fats from the beef are probably why this is so. A turkey burger has less fat in it than a beef based burger. A turkey burger has 0 calories from fat. Beef based burger has 80 calories from fat.

    Beef Burger Nutrition Facts
    http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/generic/lean-ground-beef-burger


    Reference for Turkey burger nutrition facts
    http://www.peertrainer.com/DFcaloriecounterB.aspx?id=8052

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jayme-
    Good Post, you did a good job highlighting a lot of the key points. I agree I was rasied in a household were the meat was the main dish and everything was focused around that. Now I kinda look at that differently. I mean meat does have a lot of benefits when it comes to nutrition but there are other ways in which we can recieve proteins,etc. And yeah that tube of blood was really gross that also makes me think twice on what I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post Jayme! I agree with you how interesting it was to learn that one serving of meat that most Americans eat could be used in a meal for a family of four or five in other countries. It is great that you are cutting back on the amount of red meat that you eat and are eating other things such as turkey burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. After watchin this video, I have been watching mere what I eat. It just made me a lot more aware. One thing I found wierd was that it takes 15lbs of grain to produce 1lb of beef. Espesialy since the grains are healthier than the beef.

    ReplyDelete