Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Share and Voice: Baby Panda Zhen Zhen




This summer I spent a couple weeks in California. I spent most of my time in San Diego. I went to the San Diego Zoo and got the cutest pictures of the new baby panda Zhen Zhen just shy one 1 year and her mom Bai Yun! Zhen Zhen is the fourth giant panda born at this Zoo. Giant pandas are about the size of a stick of butter and hairless at birth. The mother cares for their cub very well but more often then not many do not survive. There are special captive propagation programs in China and other Zoos around the world designed to study and care for these new panda cubs to help them reach adulthood. There are only around 1,600 Gi ant Pandas surviving on earth, therefore making them endangered. Several reasons why they are endangered is because they have a low reproductive rate, there is a shortage of bamboo (which 99% of their diet is made up of, eating nearly 84lbs a day!), habitat distruction (China's has over 1 billion people), and hunting. In China there is a wildlife reserve making sure that these pandas have food, and space to live with little human interference. Check out these links they have a lot more information than I have, but just thought I'd share some pictures!


3 comments:

  1. When I was little, I was absolutely obsessed with panda bears.. I think they are the cutest animal ever. I liked the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayme,
    Cool Pictures! I was at the San Diego Zoo a few years ago when they just had a new panda. There was such a long line and then I could hardly see the little guy, but it was still neat. It is pretty cool that people can intervene and keep this species alive, but at the same time it is too bad they can't thrive in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All together now...aaaaaaw! So cute! Great photos! I wonder if our going green by using bamboo for flooring and other products contributes to the shortage.

    ReplyDelete