Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Share and Voice: "Plastics are forever"


Ponder for a second..can you imagine going a day without using plastic? Yes...it means no computer, no car, no phone, no plastic grocery bags, no pens...those are just a few, the list could go on and on. It's almost impossible to live without plastic at this point! Essentially all the plastic that has been made up to this point is still on this earth! They may be in really small peices but there is no way to get rid of it. Plastic put into landfills, eventually end up in the ocean. Some researchers and environmental organizations list plastic as the number one threat to our marine environment. It is up to us, as individuals to make a difference. I know, I know it's seems impossible to cut out ALL plastics but why don't we try and take baby steps? If you purchase 1 reusable grocery bag you will prevent 400 plastic bags from being used! Each American uses approximately 168 plastic bottles per year. Why not cut that number way down and get a staneless steel water bottle!? I carry mine around all day, I clank that thing around on everything. It's really durable and keeps the water colder for longer! OGGI is the type of bottle I use but another popular brand is Kleen Kanteen. You can purchase these staneless steel bottles just about anywhere, the brand doesn't matter, just giving a few examples! Kleen Kanteen actually has a really awesome website with alot of interesting facts about plastic (it's actually where I got a bunch of this information). The point I'm trying to make is that a small change can make a big difference!

6 comments:

  1. Jayme,
    Good Post! I personally have a Klean Kanteen. I received it for Christmas this winter. My wife has one too but she doesn't use hers much, I'm working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Thanks Jayme I love my bottle! Its such a bummer when I leave it at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jayme-
    That is such a good idea. I didn't know that 1 reusable grocery bag you will prevent 400 plastic bags. I thought I was being environmentally friendly by using paper bags and recycling them. I will also have to buy a water bottle like that. You're right, the smallest changes make a difference. WAY TO GO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayme-
    I switched over from water bottles to my staneless steel water bottle :) Just small changes like that can make a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayme, good post!!! I know you carry that aluminum bottle around because it gets thrown around so much;) Good thing they're durable.
    Thanks for letting everyone else aware of this option. I carry mine around all day too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been trying to do something similar. I just bought a big bottle of water, but I don't think it works as good. the thin plastic bottles aren't as durable

    ReplyDelete